- The Garden Bridge Trust has gained planning permission from Lambeth and Westminster Councils and approval from the Mayor.
- Detailed plans have been drawn up on design, engineering and planting, how the bridge will be run and maintained, how it will be staffed and managed, crowd and pedestrian plans, road plans, acoustic and lighting plans, security plans, environmental assessments, public consultations, business plans, negotiations to acquire the land, conducting river exploration to make sure it is safe to build, obtaining marine licences, ground investigation work and much more. The preparation activities are time consuming and costly, but vital.
- The Trust has spent £37.7m of the public money committed to the project to complete these steps. View a breakdown of spending.
- It has always part of the plan that money received from the Department for Transport and Transport for London would be used for detailed pre-construction work and to help kick-start the private funding drive.
- We aim to start construction in late 2017.